Monday, July 31, 2006

Train

The other day I was coming back to work from the dentist office when I got stopped at one of the many train tracks that runs through Johnson City. Since there was nothing else nearby to look at, I was looking at the cars that were on the train. These are the type of cars that carry the boxes that you see sometimes on big boats and also look like the backs of semi-trucks. They may be actually, can you put one of those boxes on a big rig?

Anyway, I was fascinated that there were "boxes" on the train that had clearly come from China and Germany. Now, I have always known that things come over here from far away places, but I never really respected the impact of our transportation system until I thought about those same boxes that I was looking at getting on a truck or train in China, traveling to the ocean to get on a boat, then getting on another truck or train to come all the way to Johnson City on that train that stopped me on my way back to work.

The world truly is small when you sit and think about it!

No comments: