
Okay so it is painfully obvious that my day to day living is not very exciting, and I do want to someday catch up on those blasted scrapbooks of mine, so I found a Family Historian Article in Real Simple, and there is a worksheet there for questions to ask to get to know your family and friends better.
Well, here goes, when there is nothing else to report on or muse about, we'll take a question from the sheet and answer it. My hope is that those of you who read this blog will add a comment and answer the question yourself. You simply hit the comments link below each blog. Be sure not to put too much identifying information in your answers, and I will try to edit them when needed, if I can.
1. What was your childhood home like?
Until I was in sixth grade, we lived in Decatur, TN. We started out in a rental house, but I don't remember much about that, other than it was pretty much in town. We were living there while we were building a house in the country. It was a cedar sided ranch with a cathedral ceiling in the main area. One of my earliest memories is of camping in the backyard of this house while it was being built and staying in a red tent.
The thing I liked most about this house was the floor plan and the fact that we always seemed to be entertaining people and there was room for everyone to not feel crowded, and there was something for everyone to do. The house was one large room for dining and the living room with the kitchen coming off the back to the side of the dining area (connected to the garage), the master bedroom off to one side of the living area, and my brother's room, my room and a bathroom coming off the other side of the living room with a glass door that could close this area off. The kitchen had cool swinging "bar" doors at the entrance, and at one end of the kitchen was the laundry room and a built in desk with a huge window looking out to the backyard and the farm and barn. In the backyard, we also had a log cabin that dad built to store things in. We had a pond, multiple barns, a huge garden, cows, horses and creeks to play it. The property was adjacent to a graveyard, but that didn't really bother us, we couldn't see it.
Back to the house, the bedrooms seemed to be a great size to me. There was a huge front and back porch, and a great front yard. There was a staircase in the living area that went down to a huge full sized basement where dad had a workshop, we had a sauna, some closets, a storage room full of shelves for cans and stuff, and an amazing open area for playing, watching TV, etc. We had a blast down there. I am sure mom and dad could add more details if they wanted.
I am attaching picture of my family in front of this house, I will have to see if I can find a full view of it somewhere.
Tuan, you had better answer these questions too! I know you are reading this! :) I love you!
1 comment:
WOW Tricia, u done good on describing the house. We did have a wood stove in the basement with a large rock wall that I laid the rock, I said while in the process of laying them, that I learned a couple cuss words, because I would put up one rock up and two would fall. Do you remember the ground hog that got under the garage, we had to run water in the hole to flush him out. Then there was our mule "Kate" that we traded a cow for that Jimmy Hornsby gave me that couldn't walk at the time. You and Patrick were riding her while I was pulling a log, the log hung a stump and both of u came off, then another time you two were riding her when she went under a tree limb and knocked you all off. These were great days, thanks for letting me reamiance. Dad
Post a Comment