Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Other

Tuan: I forgot to tell you
Tuan: at daycare today the had a form where you fill out, white, asian, etc... they didn't have other, and I told the lady there that Turner would be an other.... I went ahead an check asian because she looks more asian now.
Tricia: okay
Tuan: but they should definately have other
Tricia: yes, they should
Tuan: there are some other kids there that are other
Tricia: yep, I find it odd that they make you pick one
Tricia: that seems insensitive, what did she say?
Tuan: she was going to add a line, but I just said don't worry about it

Tuan and I have always known that our children would be "others" when it comes to being forced to choose your ethnicity/race on demographic forms. We are already having to have conversations about it. Tuan came in that evening and told me that he had decided that we would just mark the box for whichever parent she is with. :)

Here are some of my thoughts:

1. Demographic forms like this are only going to become harder and harder to fill out. There are SO MANY mixed couples these days. Who among us is full blooded anything anyway?

2. When in doubt, pick to win, if the system is going to make her make a choice, pick the one that will most likely pay off in benefits.

3. Is it wrong to play the "pick to win" game? Probably, but isn't that why these forms and records are kept anyway?

4. I want Turner to always pick what feels right to her or to pick nothing at all or to add her own box!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

write in Muggleborn.

Tricia said...

That is the perfect option!